We just had 3 days of rain and grey skies in San Francisco and I wanted to pretend it was summer! Watermelons are beautiful so I tried a cocktail with it and a super cool salad. The watermelon color brightened our night.
Cocktail : Le cooler pasteque from “Le cuisinier rebelle” I already told you about. As he is from Montreal, he calls the watermelon un “melon d’eau” wether in French we would say Pasteque
10 leaves of fresh mint
vodka 210 ml
ginger soda 360 ml
Put the watermelon flesh into a blender, then filter it in a “chinois” to get the juice. In a pitcher, add this juice to the crushed mint leaves and grated ginger. Fill the glasses with ice cubes and watermelon mixture, add 2 oz of vodka per glass then finish with the ginger soda (ginger ale). Serve with a funky straw and decorate with a watermelon slice.
Watermelon mint Feta salad from Simply recipes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup lime juice (4-6 limes, depending on how big and juicy the limes are)
- A quarter of a medium sized watermelon, rind removed, black seeds removed (if there are any), chopped into 1-inch cube-ish pieces, about 8 cups
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1 Soak the chopped red onion in the lime juice while you are prepping the other ingredients, about 15 minutes.
2 Gently combine all ingredients into a large serving bowl.
Serve immediately. Salad will get soggy if kept overnight.